Zed
Participant
  • Professional
18:26:51

For one year in 1989 ban on student was lifted after Benazir Bhutto got in power. I was in first year and ran for joint secretary. I was President of Peoples Student Federation (PSF). We lost as Islami Jamiat Talba (IJT) swept elections. It was fun but later during 4 years of Engineering I stayed away from student politics. Even then I was in favor of student politics but was against then role of national parties PMLN, PTI, PPP, MQM, ANP, JI etc in student politics. In developed countries college unions aren’t tied to main stream parties, don’t get funding from there but in developing world they are tied. I see Jibran Nasir along with many student leaders are trying to lift this ban. I am of course against ban but would to hear from fellow bloggers. What’s their take on question that I always had confusion. Should we keep student politics separate from main stream? Leaders like Altaf Hussain, Sheikh Rashid are product of student unions. These student unions tied to main stream parties played significant role in anti-Brit political struggle. So there are pros of this connection when it comes to challenging status quo. But in my humble opinion cons outweighs pros and that’s why Govt keep them banned all the time. Please share your views on pros and cons and what’s the best path forward.

It seems like universities in Pakistan are dominated by IJT even today. It’s important to counter their propaganda and provide a platform to opposing views. Its refreshing to see leftist voices amongst students. This is needed to avoid incidents like Mashal Khan from happening.

I don’t understand if there is a ban on unions than how is IJT still so active in universities?

arrow_upward DanishGardi